Friday, August 10, 2012

Vacation trail mix




The big day has come, tomorrow we fly over the pond to NYC!

Needless to say we are all excited and looking forward to our vacation: it has been a long summer in the city, especially for the kids. Thank goodness for the two lovely short breaks, one in June and one in July, with family at the seaside.

However, to get to the Big Apple we have a long flight and a 5am wake up, so I am preparing lotsa little snacks to keep the kids entertained and healthily fed during the trip. I'm cleaning and cutting up carrots into sticks, bringing along crackers and thought that making them a trail mix would be a fun, nutritious snack and a great way to use up odds and ends before stacking up at the Trader Joe's (yaaay!) just next to our apartment.

The great thing about a trail mix is you can put in whatever you like or have in the house. Like pop corn? Sounds good. Like some spice? I had some spicy pineapple I avoided because of the kids, but I'm sure it would have fit well. Or how about some wasabi peas? If it is not the middle of summer and you have a sweet tooth, you could throw in a few chocolate chips or M&Ms. Why not? Anything goes!

Here is what I used:
1 cup pecans
3/4 cup salted peanuts
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried wild blueberries
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dried sour cherries
1/2 cup chopped dried kiwi fruit
3/4 cup all natural red berry twist licorice bites



Hope you have a great end of the summer! I will be posting from the city that never sleeps.






 













15 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip! Your trail mix looks like a great snack to take. I am sure it will be gone in a wink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip! Welcome back to our fair City!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're headed this way! Let me know if you need any coffee / food / fun recommendations (and if you're available for an espresso, I'd love to treat you to one at a favorite cafe). My e-mail is meister@thenervouscook.com, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meister! Meeting a blogger friend tomorrow and would love to meet you too, if you don't mind kids in tow! Will write you.

      Delete
  4. By now you must have landed! I hope your travels were not too exhausting! See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy holidays! And enjoy your trail mix, it looks lovely. I've never eaten dried kiwi...am going to have to investigate as it looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it is candied dried ginger to be really precise. It was sent to me in care package from the US.

      Delete
  6. Dried kiwi is such an unusual and fabulous addition! This looks delicious. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy yourself! I hope you aren't reading this silly comment though, because you're too busy doing fabulous things and eating amazing food. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific idea for flights- hoping that the holiday is treating you kindly...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh I hope you guys are all having a blast though you may be back already. Traveling with little kids is hard but NYC with kids is great fun! Oh we have seen everything! Love your version of trail mix. Or plane mix?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments! Had a lovely time and just got back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear that you had a great time! I can't wait to read all about it :D

    ReplyDelete

Leave a suggestion, opinion or your own experience. I love hearing from you.